Implemented an interactive PHP calendar for a Content Management System
- Created an independent module that fit seamlessly into an existing system.
- Created a normalized MySQL schema for maximized flexibility and extensibility.
- Worked in a distributed environment and effectively managed deadlines and source control considerations.
Created a configuration management scheme for software with complex settings.
- Initiated an effort to manage configuration complexity for a highly customizable production application.
- Finished product significantly reduced the time needed for techs to perform installations by reducing the amount of configuration necessary by over 80%.
Manpower Loading Forecaster
Created a custom database application for tracking resource allocation in an engineering department
- Architected and implemented a well-received product for less than the cost of purchasing comparable products out of the box.
- Managed the software through dozens of minor and two major release cycles.
- Successfully contributed to significantly increased efficiency as a result of new ability to plan and forecast resource allocation and budgeting concerns.
Setup multiple mediawiki installations on corporate intranets.
- Created custom wikis for internal knowledge sharing and collaboration.
- Customized the wikis to have corporate branding and common navigation.
- Modified settings to create a richer experience with file sharing and integration with other corporate tools.
Collaborated on software interface for industrial mail sorters.
- Designed interoperation modules for exporting sortation data into accounting modules.
- Created and maintained a scheme for digital rights and subscription management.
- Analyzed database schema to improve indexing and retrieval efficiency.
Intellectual Property Database
Created a database application for managing corporate intellectual property information
- Architected and designed from scratch a system for managing intellectual property information for a company with hundreds of active patent applications.
- Supported groups of users throughout all phases of the SDLC including many release iterations.
- Generated extensive reporting and and usability enhancements in response to popular desire for software extension.
Overhauled an accounting application for customers in a niche market
- Received an existing application that had badly outgrown its initial design and successfully refactored strategic parts without rewriting to make it flexible.
- Made UI, performance, and security enhancements that led to a doubling over the customer base.
- Integrated refactoring efforts seamlessly with new development efforts.
- Participated in enterprise installations and customer training in software use.
Oversaw initial rewrite phase of a legacy accounting application.
- Created architecture and relevant artifacts for implementing version 2.0 of a legacy application.
- Setup J2EE, Spring framework and development environments for team collaboration on the project.
- Maintained initial, aggressive schedule, even absorbing periodic resource re-allocation and requirements creep.
Software Control System
Collaborated on supporting control systems for mail sorting machinery.
- Wrote deployment and maintenance scripts for configuration management in production.
- Implemented protocols over TCP/IP, Serial and IDE for supporting a variety of devices.
- Automated common configuration tasks to allow greater software flexibility.
- Modified Linux kernel and kernel modules as needed to support high precision device communication.
Mail Sorter Simulator
Designed a system to exercise control system for industrial machinery.
- Collaborated on circuit schematics for hardware design.
- Designed and implemented software protocols for TCP/IP, Serial, and custom IDE card driver testing over hardware lines.
- Architected and implemented both kernel space and user space application for driving hardware simulation.
- Used results generated to help refine and enhance implementation of machines under test.
- Successfully unified different concerns across a variety of languages of implementation and layers of software using IPC, multi-threading and shared kernel memory.
Test and Evaluation Server
Created a web application allowing industrial machinery testers to manage test execution and results.
- Using J2EE and Spring Framework, architected and created a system that replaced paper based test recording.
- Developed iteratively, receiving positive feedback at all stages from stakeholders.
- Deployed to production without any show-stopper issues, even in Beta.
Implemented a troubleshooting tool for field service technicians
- Designed and implemented a tool used by technicians that service industrial machinery.
- Enhanced tech productivity by automating the process of gathering remote machine logs and other diagnostic information for machines not connected to the network.
- Created a system robust enough to handle different and sometimes unknown hardware configurations.
- Received frequent feedback from technicians that the tool was one of the most useful in their software "toolbox".
Maintained software that powered enormous production mail sorting operation.
- Successfully implemented enhancements and defect fixes in spite of taking over in a situation with no test environment or deployment process.
- Created a test environment and deployment process to make future changes go more smoothly.
- Delivered results on time and with good feedback, even having to develop on-site in a high pressure situation with no room for error.
- Introduced version control to help standardize releases and ensure quality and configuration management.