Authored a study on the relative usability of various front end programming technologies in conjunction with various RDBMs.
- Designed small applications in 5 different languages, each of which connected to five different databases.
- Created normalized schema and metrics for evaluating performance that eliminated as many comparison variables as possible.
- Presented results in website format.
Created a fully functional and integrated home automation system.
- Wrote low level code to interact with home electricity and automation devices using the X10 protocol.
- Architected and implemented a web server that drives the home automation system.
- Configured and programmed an assortment of hardware, computers, and remote devices to facilitate a system for controlling lights, music, and other functionality throughout the house.
Created a web utility for automating college class group formation.
- Implemented a user-friendly PHP front end for prospective students.
- Backed the utility with a sophisticated MySQL implementation, including XSS and SQL injection attack prevention mechanisms in front end code.
- Added a machine learning algorithm for calculating optimal prospective group compatibility.
- Was awarded a computing habitat competition award for the finished product.
Created a configuration management scheme for software with complex settings.
- Initiated an effort to manage configuration complexity for a highly customizable production application.
- Finished product significantly reduced the time needed for techs to perform installations by reducing the amount of configuration necessary by over 80%.
Collaborated on software interface for industrial mail sorters.
- Designed interoperation modules for exporting sortation data into accounting modules.
- Created and maintained a scheme for digital rights and subscription management.
- Analyzed database schema to improve indexing and retrieval efficiency.
Oversaw initial rewrite phase of a legacy accounting application.
- Created architecture and relevant artifacts for implementing version 2.0 of a legacy application.
- Setup J2EE, Spring framework and development environments for team collaboration on the project.
- Maintained initial, aggressive schedule, even absorbing periodic resource re-allocation and requirements creep.
Created a version of Windows Process Manager for Linux.
- Designed and implemented an open source utility for displaying Linux process and system information in a similar format to Windows.
- Enhanced initial offering with remote capability for managing servers over TCP/IP and with proper permissions.
Collaborated on a web engine for locating scholarship information for students
- Collaborated on a tiered architecture for a web crawling utility.
- Architected backend data storage and server side code.
- Mined over 50,000 different scholarships for display to users.
- Created crawling engine robust enough to handle cosmetic changes to target site layouts and formats.
Mail Sorter Simulator
Designed a system to exercise control system for industrial machinery.
- Collaborated on circuit schematics for hardware design.
- Designed and implemented software protocols for TCP/IP, Serial, and custom IDE card driver testing over hardware lines.
- Architected and implemented both kernel space and user space application for driving hardware simulation.
- Used results generated to help refine and enhance implementation of machines under test.
- Successfully unified different concerns across a variety of languages of implementation and layers of software using IPC, multi-threading and shared kernel memory.
Test and Evaluation Server
Created a web application allowing industrial machinery testers to manage test execution and results.
- Using J2EE and Spring Framework, architected and created a system that replaced paper based test recording.
- Developed iteratively, receiving positive feedback at all stages from stakeholders.
- Deployed to production without any show-stopper issues, even in Beta.
Maintained software that powered enormous production mail sorting operation.
- Successfully implemented enhancements and defect fixes in spite of taking over in a situation with no test environment or deployment process.
- Created a test environment and deployment process to make future changes go more smoothly.
- Delivered results on time and with good feedback, even having to develop on-site in a high pressure situation with no room for error.
- Introduced version control to help standardize releases and ensure quality and configuration management.